Each season offers different gifts and challenges, flows with its own rhythm and mystery. When we tune our awareness to the offerings and energy of the season, we can better receive its wisdom and be supported in our spiritual exploring, divinatory seeking, and/or creative vocations.
The turning from October to November is a threshold time in many traditions. In the Celtic tradition, both from its earth-honoring origins and later Celtic Christianity, these days were a time to prepare for the coming dark, gather in circle to share stories, and remember the ancestors.
This year’s theme of Dark Flow invites us to release that which would inhibit our crossing the threshold of darkness and receiving its gifts of ancestral wisdom, healing, gestational creativity, and the love that flows even between the worlds.
During this mini-retreat, we follow in the footsteps of tradition and do our own listening to the land at Arcadia Wildlife Sanctuary in Easthampton, MA to find the wisdom that speaks to our hearts and souls at this time.
In our time together, we will:
- Greet each other and the season.
- Take a Wisdom Wander. No matter the weather, there will be an invitation to connect with the land and creatures at Arcadia in some way.
- Through a ritual of stones, we will release heaviness we carry that might inhibit us from connecting with dark nurture or our Beloved Dead.
- Create an altar for the Beloved Dead and Ancestors.
- Leave with “rainbow in the dark” sticks that represent what light the dark will nurture in us and that you can unwrap in spring. (Thanks to Mellissae Lucia for this concept.)
- Eat a simple lunch highlighting local vegetables and fruits (vegan and gluten-free friendly).
You are invited to bring any, all, or none of these things:
- Clothing appropriate to the weather and shoes for walking around on well-laid out trails. (OK, clothing is a requirement at this time of year. Not really optional!)
- A journal, drawing pad, piece of paper, pen, and/or colored pencils.
- A Tarot or oracle deck. If you don’t have one, there will be decks for sharing for use at the retreat.
- A picture of or object that represents one of your Beloved Dead or Ancestors. Additional pictures or objects are welcome though they might not be talked about.
- A camera for contemplative photo receiving.
Registration is now closed for this gathering.