When not observing the Solstice seasons or Equinox arrivals, I pull Tarot cards weekly to inspire practice that cultivates soul wisdom for readers of this blog as a group using the Gaian Tarot. You are invited to use the cards below to inspire your practice, and, if you like, share your reflections in the comments. You are also free to draw your own cards using these positions.
This week’s cards were not drawn at random, but show the path of the new moon arriving this Thursday, July 12th at 10:48pm ET in the USA. The astrological Wheel of the Year is divided into 36 decans and each corresponds to a Major, numbered, and Court/Person card – just like the Soul Path Practices – so I use them for soul tending and practice prompts aligned with the celestial. Before the new moon, the dark moon nights – July 10 / 11 – offer themselves as a time to release all that you do not want to carry into the next moon cycle. More about following the guidance of the moon this way in the post on Lunar Living in a Solar World. And this week’s practices can be supports for dark moon releasing.
PATH: Use Pile 1 / Majors and Aces to pull a card for the question: What path would it best serve us to walk this week? THE CHARIOT invites us to walk this week on pathways of …
- Cooperating with both your conscious awareness and your unconscious urgings and using them like alternating paddles to move yourself forward in the flow of life.
- Moving with determination and focus toward your destination (which could be: a vision for the future; commitment to completing a project; a place or person you want to visit; a new season to be entered with intention, ect.).
- Aligning yourself with the helpful energy that surrounds you (what are the eagles, orcas and salmons that are appearing in your life to remind you of the guidance and support of the earth?).
- Recognizing all is sacred, even your mundane tools of everyday living.
PRACTICE: Use Pile 2 / numbered cards for this question: What practice(s) will best serve us to move along this path this week? FOUR OF WATER invites us to practices such as …
- Meditating / engaging in visio divina on this card’s well cover symbol, called the Vesica Pisces, with its overlapping circles that represent the physical world and the spirit world and their connection. Contemplate how these circle overlap in your own life. Open up to the emotions that arise from your meditation.
- Sitting in silence and imagining your mind is like a still, deep blue pool. Let your thoughts come but float away as you re-direct your attention to the blue depths of the pool. Be open to whatever—or the nothing—that comes.
- Making a pilgrimage to a place of sacred waters. You can spend time with a stream near your house or dream about a trip to Chalice Well in Glastonbury, England (the place depicted in the card). Recognize all water is sacred.
POSTURE: Use Pile 3 / People cards for a question such as: What attitudes and behaviors will be most helpful to undertake this practice and walk with path? ELDER OF FIRE invites you to follow your path and practices with attitudes of ….
- A desire to serve the Whole with your own unique power to heal.
- Being in the NOW, the moment that is the intersection of temporal time and eternal time, without any reason to rush from it.
- Dedicating your practice to healing, to honoring the ancestors, to something greater than the usual everyday concerns.
OVERALL MUSINGS: In the modern world – and especially in the US – the outer manifestations of movement are what is valued: the project completed, the To Do list all checked off, the art or writing when it is shared. But not all movement can be seen. Our emotional and imaginative growth is most often going on below the surface – and at its own pace. The most fertile periods for this growth might even be when we seem most stalled in our manifestation. This week’s Four of Water practices offer structures for holding this messy, less valued, often uncomfortable process. And creating the space for this inactive action may paradoxically be just what you need to move your Canoe or Chariot forward when the conditions are right.
My moonthly news will come out by Thursday with further musings on this celestial pattern, a reading of the moonth, and reflections on Love and Justice. If you want to receive it be sure to sign up.