When not observing the Solstice seasons or special lunar happenings, I pull Tarot cards weekly to inspire practice that cultivates soul wisdom for readers of this blog as a group using the Gaian Tarot. You are invited to use the cards below to inspire your practice, and, if you like, share your reflections in the comments. You are also free to draw your own cards using these positions.
PATH: Use Pile 1 / Majors and Aces to pull a card for the question: What path would it best serve us to walk this week? THE MAGICIAN invites us to walk this week on pathways of …
- Bringing Spirit to Earth by being a messenger who moves between these realms.
- Calling upon and weaving together all your capacities and skills – physical, intellectual, emotional, inspirational – as your create this week.
- Connecting with the ancestors and those who have danced before you in the flow of life
- Letting your light shine in the darkness.
PRACTICE: Use Pile 2 / numbered cards for this question: What practice(s) will best serve us to move along this path this week? SEVEN OF FIRE invites us to practices such as …
- Creating something – bringing an inspiration into being and giving it form – and then pausing in the gifts of stillness that come in between the phases of action.
- If you are engaged in a creative project, spend some time in the revision stage where you shape and trim and hone. Dedicate this work to your spiritual growth.
- Pushing through toward a goal or commitment you made, no matter how difficult, knowing that the work serves a greater good.
- Spending some time communing with or learning about a wisdom teacher such as the Viking god Thor or the Celtic goddess and saint Brigid. What quality or attitude of theirs could you adopt to persist in reaching your goals?
POSTURE: Use Pile 3 / People cards for a question such as: What attitudes and behaviors will be most helpful to undertake this practice and walk with path? EXPLORER OF FIRE invites you to follow your path and practices with attitudes of ….
- Openness to whatever comes. It’s not really that you are fearless; it’s that you feel the fear but harness that energy to do what you want.
- Recognizing that you have great creativity and can use it move through life.
- Stepping into your passion fully.
- Acting on instinct developed from long practice.
OVERALL MUSINGS: We don’t make magic alone. We collaborate and create with magic, but we are not the sole source. To keep open the channels of magic, we practice. We repeat the same simple gestures, say the same prayers, sit in the same place, walk the same path – and have the persistence to continue even when we don’t feel the magic flowing or see our desired results. In this way we build the muscle of receptivity to the Beyond so when the conditions are right we are available to be a conduit.
The Gaian Tarot highlights the ancestors as a source of magic through the inclusion of ancient handprints on the cave wall shown in the image. As we move toward ancestor veneration days of Samhain, Halloween, Dia de los Muertos, All Saints and All Soul Day, the loving ancestors are waiting to connect with us. We can respond to their availability through practice and ritual.
In these times when our challenges seem so daunting, our divides so deep, our usual ways of working are just not working. We need something different. Yes, we need magic. Calling upon the loving ancestors as guides and allies for magical shifting brings new power and perspective to our work of tending this world so we can pass something beautiful, just, and sustainable on to our descendants.
The message to honor the ancestor keeps coming up the oracular work I am doing for myself and others. I am attempting to respond. One of my responses is the Persephone Descending with Letters for the Dead series that we are in the midst of here at Soul Path Sanctuary. The overview first session with prompts for ritual and practice was recorded and is available for viewing. We continue through the November dark moon. You are invited to join us.