Writers from, or with a connection to, Easthampton, MA and the Pioneer Valley are invited to submit 1 short poem on the theme of Possibility to be included in the Poetry Oracle as part of the Art of the Word show at Local Gallery in Easthampton, which will open on Saturday, April 13th from 5pm to 9pm to coincide with the city-wide Book Fest.
Poems of all types are welcome: free verse, poems in forms, prose poems, song lyrics, translations, bilingual poems. Unpublished and published poems welcome. The only limitation is length and a specific submission format; see below for details. April 5 deadline.
What is the Poetry Oracle? An interactive piece that helps people see how poetry can be helpful and inspiring in living their everyday lives. The Poetry Oracle will be part of the Art of the Word show that runs from April 13 to May 5. The collected poems will be held is a container with a sign saying:
- Pause and think of a question. If one doesn’t come to mind, you can always use: What’s most important to pay attention to now?
- Close your eyes, reach into the box, and let your fingers find a poem.
- Read the poem and consider how it is a response to your question.
- Remember poetry “tells all the truth but tells it slant” so your answer may arrive in an indirect manner from or at some point after reading the poem.
- The poem is yours to keep.
Poems must be submitted in the following format. Any poems that do not follow the format will not be included:
- Use the theme of Possibility as broad guidance for the content of your poem. You don’t need to shy away from difficult topics, but you do want to leave the reader with a sense of possibility to guide them in answering their question.
- Submit 2 copies of your poem, both on an approxiately 5.5” x 8.5” piece of cardstock of any color. (Yes, that is one sheet of 8.5” x 11” / standard piece of cardstock cut in half).
- Print your poem in no smaller than 12pt font on the front of the cardstock. (Orient to vertical or horizontal depending on what best suits your poem).
- On the back of the card include your name and where people can find more of your work (books, websites, blogs, ect.). Optional to include contact information and/or a short bio.
- Send with a cover sheet that includes your name, address, email, telephone number, and the poem printed out.
By April 1, mail your poem to Carolyn Cushing, 143 Main St., Easthampton, MA 01027 or deliver in person to Local Gallery, 40 Cottage St., Easthampton, MA.
Poems will not be returned. One copy will taken home by the person who pulled your poem in answer to their question. The second poem will be part of a set that is sold with proceeds going to Local Gallery to support their work in creating the show.
You don’t have to present on April 13th to participate and there will be other events at Local Gallery through April and the start of May. Details on those will be posted here as soon as they are announced.
I welcome your questions via comment here on the site or you can send an e-mail to [email protected] name of this website.
If you want to know about future Soul Path Sanctuary offerings for seekers, creatives, and writers, sign up for my moonthly e-news.