Each week I pull Tarot cards to inspire personal development / spiritual practice for readers of the blog as a group using the Gaian Tarot. (If you want to read more about the process, check out Sacred Practices of the Gaian Tarot: The 3 P’s).You are invited to use the cards below to inspire your practice, and, if you like, share your reflections in the comments. You are also free to draw your own cards.
PATH: Use Pile 1 / Majors and Aces to pull a card for the question: What path would it best serve us to walk this week? THE SUN invites us to walk this week on pathways of …
- Earned joy.
- Awakening to new light and energy.
- Being open to the beauty of earth and the passionate embrace of love while still holding in your heart the pain, the the grief, and the problems of the world. You are unafraid of this paradox.
PRACTICE: Use Pile 2 / numbered cards for this question: What practice(s) will best serve us to move along this path this week? TWO OF EARTH invites us to practices such as …
- Embrace a child with intention. Let your heart open to the gift of their energy in your life. Listen to them. Give thanks for their prescience in your life. Send loving energy to any parents whose children have died.
- Take some time out of your schedule to “turn your back” to the demands of your everyday life (perhaps this is 2 minutes at your desk or an hour of morning meditation). Tune into your emotions and accept the whole range of them. Listen for if there is a message about a change, a gift, an action to take to make something better in the physical world when you turn again to face it.
- Journaling about how life is both a challenge and a gift (Open a notebook so you have two pages facing each other. Write “Challenges” at the top of one page and “Gifts” at the top of the other. Fill up both sides with your truest feelings. When you are done, look at the lists as a whole. What connections can you make?)
POSTURE: Use Pile 3 / People cards for a question such as: What attitudes and behaviors will be most helpful to undertake this practice and walk with path? ELDER OF WATER invites you to follow your path and practices with attitudes of …
- Friendship with and compassion for all the emotions that well up in you and in others as you travel your days
- Knowing that your personal life flow is held in a larger life flow of the planet so you can let go of trying to control things
- Tapping into the current shifting below you, the change of tide or season.
OVERALL MUSINGS: Our path and our practice this week invite an embrace of elements that seemly can’t co-exist together, that are full of paradox, that hold both the cries of pain that will come as we face war or injustice or accidents this week and the quiet wisdom – or perhaps it will even exuberant joy – that we might experience or feel from something personal or local or even a possible breakthrough around a communal problem. I think that Bertolt Brecht has said it best:
“In the dark times
Will there also be singing?
Yes, there will also be singing.
About the dark times.”
May you flow with that this week.
Note: James Wells and I are offering a teleseminar tonight (Monday, the 25th at 8pm ET in the USA) on The Practice of Questions. I’ll – no surprise – be talking about practice as a support for moving through these times we live in and James will offer his always inspiring thoughts on powerful questions. I’d love to hear if you are coming – comment or send me an e-mail, but here are the basics for connecting:
The Practice of Question with Carolyn Cushing and James Wells will be held by conference call on Monday, August 25th at 8:00pm ET / 7:00pm CT / 6:00pm MT / 5:00pm PT in the U.S.A. The International Time Zone Converter is https://www.worldtimeserver.com to find times around the globe. (I don’t dare calculate that myself!)
For US callers, dial +1 209 255 1000. Use passcode 877954 and press pound afterward.
For international callers, got to https://www.freeconferencecall.com/free-international-conference-call/internationalnumbers.aspx?lang=AU . Paste the 10 digits of the US call in number above into the box to find your (more) local call in number. Use the same passcode of 877954 and press pound afterward. We will be making a recording that we will be shared around and posted on here on my site for sure.