Each week I pull Tarot cards to inspire practice that cultivates soul wisdom for readers of the blog as a group using the Gaian Tarot. (If you want to read more about the process, check out Sacred Practices of the Gaian Tarot: The 3 P’s).You are invited to use the cards below to inspire your practice, and, if you like, share your reflections in the comments. You are also free to draw your own cards and share them in the comments.
PATH: Use Pile 1 / Majors and Aces to pull a card for the question: What path would it best serve us to walk this week? THE TEACHER invites us to walk this week on pathways of …
- Being open to learning and wisdom coming from surprising, unexpected, or humble sources.
- Connecting to the deep wisdom that you have to share with the world.
- Entering into the mysteries of the Earth, lead by its wise masters: the plants, the animals, the insects, the weeds.
- Knowing you are supported by and stand on the wisdom traditions of the ancestors.
PRACTICE: Use Pile 2 / numbered cards for this question: What practice(s) will best serve us to move along this path this week? TWO OF EARTH invites us to practices such as …
- Honoring and spending time with both pain/grief/the noisy parts of ourselves (the crying baby) and the calm/inner/silent/receptive wisdom (the quiet baby).
- Envision the world that you want to pass on to the children in your life. What values will it uphold? How will children be treated? What will it be like to live in this world? What actions moved us toward making this vision real? Take a step toward making that vision real this week.
- Journaling about how life is both a challenge and a gift (Open a notebook so you have two pages facing each other. Write “Challenges” at the top of one page and “Gifts” at the top of the other. Fill up both sides with your truest feelings. When you are done, look at the lists as a whole. What connections can you make?)
POSTURE: Use Pile 3 / People cards for a question such as: What attitudes and behaviors will be most helpful to undertake this practice and walk with path? ELDER OF AIR invites you to follow your path and practices with attitudes of …
- Calm and clarity.
- Aligning your best skills with the world’s deepest need to take action.
- Deep attention but little effort.
- Dedicating your actions to planetary peace and healing
OVERALL MUSINGS: The Teacher in other Tarots is the religious leader so I can’t help but think of the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. on this day when we celebrate his life. His words were powerful, well-crafted calls for peace, healing, and justice. This is but one of the most famous quotes: “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
But Rev. King wasn’t the only leader in the Southern Freedom Movement. There were many Teachers in that peoples movement. Ella Baker was an organizer committed to helping people find their power. She said, “Give light and people will find the way.” There are so many of her words, too, that we need to listen to today.