When not observing the Solstice seasons or special lunar happenings, I pull Tarot cards weekly to inspire practice that cultivates soul wisdom for readers of this blog as a group using the Gaian Tarot. You are invited to use the cards below to inspire your practice, and, if you like, share your reflections in the comments. You are also free to draw your own cards using these positions.
PATH: Use Pile 1 / Majors and Aces to pull a card for the question: What path would it best serve us to walk this week? THE MOON invites us to walk this week on pathways of …
- Honoring natural cycles, particularly those which the moon shows us of dark to new, from waxing to full, from wanning to back again to dark. (MoonCircles is a favorite site of mine for moon cycle information).
- Remembering that “one stage of life always succeeds another, and that a time of darkness is always followed by renewal” (quote from Joanna Powell Colbert’s Gaian Tarot companion book).
- Tapping into a wild, dark, feminine mystery.
- Tuning into the realms beyond through dreams, connecting with the ancestors, letting the natural world be your guide, or recognizing psychic messages.
PRACTICE: Use Pile 2 / numbered cards for this question: What practice(s) will best serve us to move along this path this week? EIGHT OF AIR invites us to practices such as …
- Storytelling; sitting with friends and/or family to tell stories that are important to each of you, that help you make meaning of your lives, or that simply delight.
- Listening inwardly to all the different voices and ideas that surface. Yes, it sometimes feels like there is a raucous committee meeting going on inside our heads! But you can align this group for forward movement or internal peace by letting each have its say. You might give names to each of these different aspects of yourself and then listen in turn to what each of them would say in regard to an important matter before you.
- Joining a support group specific to the need or change that you are going through.
- Admitting that you are stuck that you don’t have all the answers and opening yourself up to receive support from others. You don’t have to do everything alone.
POSTURE: Use Pile 3 / People cards for a question such as: What attitudes and behaviors will be most helpful to undertake this practice and walk with path? EXPLORER OF FIRE invites you to follow your path and practices with attitudes of ….
- Flexibility and embracing the flow.
- Openness to whatever comes. It’s not really that you are fearless; it’s that you feel the fear but harness that energy to do what you want.
- Recognizing that you have great creativity and can use it move through life.
- Acting on instinct developed from long practice.
OVERALL MUSINGS: We are stuck. We are broken. We thought we knew where we were going, but now the way forward is uncertain – even dangerous. This week’s lunar path – coming amidst the holidays for remembering the dead – directs us to mysterious places to find the support we seek.
To find this support our practice is inspired by Gaian Eight of Air which on the surface looks rather mundane: people gathered in circle outside on a sunny day. But there is a detail in the image that strikes me as odd and opens the door to mystery. The man in the hat is not really in the circle, but sits outside of it. Joanna Powell Colbert, creator of the Gaian Tarot, is a magician in creating circles of support where all are equally honored, where all take their place in the circle. So for her to have someone outside of the circle invites me to make meaning. Joanna doesn’t state this as her intention for this card, but I believe this figure on the outside represents the loving ancestors who watch us and support, especially when we tell the stories about the truths of our lives. You may notice that talking stick is decorated with a white feather and a dark feather, representing both the light and the dark of our lives. The loving ancestors can hear it all and send their healing through to us.
To follow this lunar path opening ourselves to the love and support of the ancestors, we can be like the Explorer of Fire who dances in the dark energized by the connection to a strong energetic flow. The loving ancestors shine a light for those who enter the dark to find them.
Over the past few weeks, I have been opening my heart to my beloved dead and the ancestors and feeling a powerful flow. This is energy to aid me personally. But also the loving, the wise, the ancient ancestors are the backup we need to face the crisis of our times that comes out of long history. I offer for your use the Heart-Centering Meditation for Connecting with the Ancestors that we have been using in the Persephone Descending series. May it serve you at this time when the veils between the worlds are open and as we here in the United States face a critical election. We should take all the help we can get!
Heart-Centering Meditation for Ancestor Connection
Turn your attention inward. Taking a meditative posture, closing your eyes, and tuning into the flow of your breath are common and helpful practices.
Bring your attention to the places where your body is connected to the earth through the surface that is supporting you. Feel/imagine the energy of the earth rising up through your body. Follow its movement from feet through legs, from the base of your spine through your belly and into your solar plexus. When the earth energy reaches your heart, let it pool there and sense how the earth energy expands your heart energy. Take some time making and basking in the connection of earth and heart energy.
Bring your attention above you. Feel / imagine the energy of the Above. Perhaps you visualize or sense in some way this energy as a glowing orb above you. Then from this orb, strands or sparkles of energy are flowing down to you. They are come to your crown and it is almost as if there is an opening there through which they enter. Perhaps they come in as colors of silver or gold or have a sound or special feeling. Imagine the energy flowing down through your head, through your throat, and into your heart. Let the energy pool there, mixing with your heart energy and the earth energy. Let it expand your heart even further. You sense or feel the expansion through tingling in this area of your body or through seeing green waves coming out through you.
Now the mixed energy of the Above, heart, and earth is rising up, passing through your throat, moving behind your eyes and forehead, stimulating that place known as the 3rd eye through which you can see beyond the surface of everyday things. This energy reaches the crown of you and flows out like a fountain spills out. You might imagine this energy spilling out of you as surrounding you with a spray of color. Perhaps the green and/or rose, the colors of the heart.
You take a few moments to bask in the feeling of being surrounded and protected by this loving energy.
Then you send your awareness out into the Beyond. With your imaginal senses, you are reaching out to and connecting with your Beloved Dead and your loving ancestors. You might imagine yourself traveling back through generations of ancestors to meet those far back ancestors who are radiant in the dark because of their love and wisdom. Take time to greet each one you perceive and give them “a long loving look.” Open yourself up to receive their love.
When it feels right, take your leave with words or a gesture of gratitude. With your imaginal senses, let yourself come back into your body. Bring your attention to your crown. Imagine a flower there and then perceived its petals closing like a flower closes itself up for the night. Know that you are sealing the energy into you to aid you in your waking life. Now bring your attention to the base of your spine and your feet. Imagine flowers there and then they close sealing the energy into your to aid you in walking forward on your soul path.
Bring your palms together in front of your heart. You can bow your head toward your palms and half open your eyes. Begin to move your palms over each other slowly at first and then faster. Open your eyes fully. Throw your hands up over your head and arrive back fully awake and alert.