When not observing the Solstice seasons or lunar happenings, I pull Tarot cards weekly to inspire practice that cultivates soul wisdom for readers of this blog as a group using the Gaian Tarot. You are invited to use the cards below to inspire your practice, and, if you like, share your reflections in the comments. You are also free to draw your own cards using these positions.
PATH: Use Pile 1 / Majors and Aces to pull a card for the question: What path would it best serve us to walk this week? TEMPERANCE invites us to walk this week on pathways of …
- Combining things that appear to be opposites (fire and water, light and darkness, life and death) into a beautiful new Whole
- Knowing you flow through deep-earth fire mystery even as you walk through your everyday life of going to the the supermarket or cleaning your bathroom.
- Re-balancing after a period of change to integrate that experience while at the same time preparing for the new emerging.
- Seeing and blending all the parts of yourself into a perfectly imperfect vessel for holding your authentic life.
PRACTICE: Use Pile 2 / numbered cards for this question: What practice(s) will best serve us to move along this path this week? TWO OF FIRE invites us to practices such as …
- Candle gazing. It’s as easy as it sounds—just gaze at the flame of a candle. You might do this practice with a particular intention such as expanding or clarifying your vision around work, service, or love, for example.
- Dedicate cultivation of your individual joy to creating more collective joy in the world.
- Spend some times looking your deep desires in the eyes. What are they really? Do you really want to dance with them?
- Work with a “buddy” to ensure you do your spiritual/soul practice: walk together in nature, silently; write out gratitudes daily or weekly and mail them to each other; find the deity or ancestor who would best guide you through current challenges and develop a relationship with them.
POSTURE: Use Pile 3 / People cards for a question such as: What attitudes and behaviors will be most helpful to undertake this practice and walk with path? GUARDIAN OF FIRE invites you to follow your path and practices with attitudes of ….
- Taking time to nurture your own inner fire.
- Being of service.
- Coaxing the gifts that might be hidden more deeply to emerge
- Courage to stand in the dark and call forth the light.
OVERALL MUSINGS: The moonth began last week in the sign of Scorpio, dipping us into the initiating energy of Death, card 13. This week we progress from card 13 to card 14 and begin to remake our lives after the changes made by Death in our lives. The practice and posture cards suggest a reflective process for this work. We are called to tune into our desires and visions for ourselves and for the collective. Desire and vision can be the flames that move us forward, that help us to persist even when results are not dramatic. Focused on the vision, determined in our work, and assisted by the Greater Than, we can bring what is needed to re-balance in our lives into being.
I am also noting all the fire in these cards – and it is making me thinking of the dangerous and deadly wildfires in California. In many esoteric systems, Temperance is identified as a fire card, but water is an important element in meaning and image across Tarot decks. I send my prayers for the people of California that their fires will be tempered by waters and that our hearts may open in a flow of compassion toward those who have lost loved ones.