Before the moon is made new on Monday, December 14th (exact at 11:16am ET), it returns to the place on the astrological Wheel where it began its moonthly journey. The energy gathered through the moonth now flows away into moonless nights. What will you send with this energy to be transformed in the dark?
The moonth we are concluding began and now ends in Scorpio which corresponds to the Tarot’s Death card. In the Dark Goddess Tarot, Death is La Santa Muerte, the Mexican Goddess of Death. Ellen Lorenzi-Prince, creator of the Dark Goddess Tarot, description of her includes:
Most Holy Death, La Santísima Muerte, oversees the many needs of her people. She hears rituals for justice in court cases, for protection from enemies, for success in business or in love, and for the removal of curses. … Her people know the Lady may grant any prayer. In providing a good life, in providing a good death, she feeds herself as well. For La Santísima is the hard and practical earth, the one who builds and sustains life by gripping, holding, and processing the dead.
Death’s appearance is a call to transform that which can no longer exist in its current state. Once the obsolete is surrendered, she can take it, re-shape it, and offer it back in a life-giving form.
Guided by La Santa Muerte in this dark moon time, we are invited to surrender to a double ending. First, we are ending the moonth that began on November 15th with our opening up to the dreams that come after the endings in our lives. We also beginning our descent into the ending of the solar year; this is the final days before the Solstice arrives on December 21st initiating the turning of the year. Along with releasing what we do not want to carry from the past 28 days, this dark moon time invites us to begin to release what we’ve seen must come to an end from trials and tests of 2020. Along with our personal surrender, we can bring the power of our intention and focus to ask for the transformation of what can no longer exist in its current state in our communities, countries, and the world: unequal access to health care, white supremacist institutions, denial of climate change, for example. Our inner and magical work to surrender these to Death can compliment our outer and collective action work.
Reflection, Ritual, and Release
Starting about the 48 hours before the new moon’s arrival on Monday, the 14th, the dark moon comes to support our transformation. You are invited to engage in reflection and ritual to celebrate achievements of the moonth passing and release what you do not want to carry into the next lunation.
- Ponder the happenings of the moonth. If you journal, you’ll have a handy record for your personal memories, but even just looking back at your appointment calendar or photos taken can jog your mind about what’s been going on in the past few weeks.
- Let yourself appreciate what you remember as successes or gifts. Let your gratitude for them fill your heart.
- Also open your heart to the memories and feelings of where you feel short of dreams or goals, experienced difficulty, or lost a connection to something once important. As you shift through these memories and feelings, let yourself become aware of what you are ready to release so you don’t carry it into the next moonth.
- Create sacred space by lighting a candle, imagining that you are ringed with a circle of protection, and/or your usual actions.
- You can invite La Santa Muerte and/or the face of Greater Than that you have been serving this moonth to with you and aid you in this dark moon release. Spend as much time as you need connecting with Them. You might say a prayer something like: “La Santa Muerte, full of power, full of compassion, I trust you to take from me/us all that is at its end in my/our life.”
- When you are ready ask La Santa Muerte or your Guide to receive the first thing you want to release. Imagine them taking this and even shifting it into new form. What emerges? Do this for each of your releases.
- After you have completed your releasing, tune into your body, feeling it lighter. Re-center yourself by connecting with earth below you and the sky above you. Feel their energy mix in your heart. Offer gratitude. Be open to a blessing coming to you from La Santa Muerte and/or your face of the Greater Than.
When the new moon arrives, you may want to make wishes for your light heart will guide you in the moonth to come. Be sure to write them down to revisit at the end of the moonth.
You may also want to create some time and space to reflect on the whole of year before the Solstice comes on the 21st, and engage in further ritual and release to clear out what you do not need to carry into the new year. There might be a lot to release!