The height of this moonth’s cycle comes with the full moon arriving on Monday, the 20th (exact at 7:55pm ET), and offers a revelation about how the lunar energies initiated on the September 6th new moon are developing. The new moon, guided by its association with the Hermit and Nine of Pentacles, invited us to work with our “accumulations of substance” for both body and soul. Out of the full moon revelation about this developing energy, we are issued an invitation to return a gift to the world in the final weeks of the lunar cycle.
The exact moment of the moon’s fullness comes in the sign of Pisces associated with the Tarot’s Moon card and brings an encounter between The Hermit and the Moon.
The Hermit is very much at home in the lunar landscape and all of us walking the Hermit Path this lunation will find full moon support for illumination of what is usually invisible like:
- The Divine called by any name and perhaps perceived in concrete form in nature—sensing the power of the Divine in the form of a tree or a stone, for example—or even in the moon itself.
- Personal and collective unconscious. Have you been aware of your dreams more lately? I’ve been having and recording vivid dreams and hearing about the dreams of others. What dreams might you invite around this full moon?
- Patterns or ways of being/operating that we take for granted.There is a joke about two fish talking about water. One says to the other: I’ve heard about this thing called water, but I’ll believe it when I see it.” During the full moon of the Moon, we might have our eyes opened to these forces that shape us. We might come face to face, for example, with how the demands for perpetual growth of capitalism feed our need for ever more things. Or there might be a realization that an activity or small ritual you enact—lighting a candle now the night comes earlier, canning tomatoes, making herbal teas—comes from watching a grandmother or father do the same and wonder if this little practice may weave far back into the family history.
- The Beloved Dead and Ancestors. As plant and tree growth begin to wind down here in the Northern Hemisphere and song birds migrate further south, the absence and the silence create an opening for the dead to be more present in our lives. We are entering the threshold of the dark half of the year. This full moon coming right before the Equinox sets us on the final length of our journey toward the days of remembrance that come October 31st – November 11th. (FYI, I am presenting at Betwixt & Between Cyber Conference on October 16th, which will offer a series of workshops to prepare for marking this turning point of the year.)
Hermits step out of the busyness of the everyday to seek these illuminations so they can eventually return and share what they have learned. Perhaps we will write a blog post, create a Tarot spread, teach a practice or exercise for cultivating what we’ve learned along the way. But don’t rush there just yet. The Moon of the moon invites us to really soak in the mysterious lunar energy and let it penetrate deep into our hearts, our minds, our bones. This is the soul tending we need to prepare us for the sharing to come.
To encourage a revelation on these themes as we journey through this moonthly cycle, you are invited to one, some, or all of these practices:
- Moon bathe by sitting or lying under a window or outside on the ground. Let go of your thoughts and soak in the light.
- Take out any reading or your reflections from the new moon and look at them in a new light. How does your understanding of the cards shift now that time has passed and light has shifted? (If you haven’t done a reading yet, no problem, just do it now under the light of the full moon. You can try the one from the new moon.)
- Bring out your Hermit and Moon cards from your Tarot deck and connect them to your new moon reading / reflections. You could place/imagine these cards on either side of your reading or above and below, and then look at how they add meaning into the story your original cards offered you.
- Reflect on questions such as: What calls to me from the invisible realm? How can I answer? What essential message is coming from my dreams? What can I look at in a new way? How can I prepare to enter the dark half of the year? You could, of course, pull cards as responses to any of these questions. You may want to engage in Visio Divina to find the layers of wisdom within the cards.
When you are done, remember to offer gratitude for what you have received. Consider what gift you now want to return to the world. Pulling a card for guidance on the gift is always a fine thing to do. In the coming weeks and before the moon returns to dark around October 3rd (the date of the first Love Letters to the Dead Writing Room!) offer your gift to the world.